23 May 2010

Islands in the Snot Stream

In a thinly veiled attempt to avoid doing chores, I'm watching I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.  This show is particularly stupid, but fun to watch just bits of it sporadically.  What always strikes me is the voice over in his strong manly voice saying "Even with no prenatal care, baby Shinola is 100% healthy."  A variation of this happens every show.  I don't think it is the show's intention, but every time I hear that sentence it just reminds me how we (we being Americans) really don't need to treat pregnant women like invalids.  Seems the babies come out just fine without all those doctor visits and steering clear of alcohol and fatty foods.  Thanks for debunking the myth TLC!  However, I do recognize that chances are there a many women who aren't signing up for the show because their babies did not survive.  I would like the statics on this, though. 

Groan, next is a Dwarf Adoption Story, and the wife just said, "We are a family just like any other family; we may not be average in heigTH..."  Seriously, you are a little person where "height" has to be a dominating word most of her life whether she likes it or not, and she misprounces it?  Really?

(All the above was written yesterday before I decided to go back to bed for the rest of the day.)

Sunday brings more allergies and hives, but got a few more things done (errands with Wikus and book shopping with some gift certificates--of course I spent double what the certificates were worth, but who exactly is asking you to keep score?).  This post should just really end already, instead of being drawn out in this terrible manner.  However, I do want to mention one more television-related item: Friday while The Boy was talking with a man regarding getting a door made for our study, I hid in the bedroom and watched Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton singing Islands in the Stream on Oprah.  It was fantastic!  Dolly's wig must be holding her face together, and I have no idea what plastic surgeon Kenny  has been visiting, but he doesn't really look human anymore.  His eyes are terribly beady, and they used to be so warm (I wished he was my dad when I was little, so I spent a lot of time staring at that sparkle in his eyes on The gambler record).  And Oprah.  Oh, Oprah.  How you do make me giggle.  I really liked how you sang along with them from the audience.  Just standing there in the audience, shaking your booty, and totally pointing back at Dolly and Kenny during choice lyrics, as if they weren't singing to you, but you were singing to them!  How magical to be so rich that no one laughed at you in the audience, and everyone felt they were party of some precious Oprah moment.  I wish I had the forethought to tape it.  Sadly, it will only live on in my memories until I find it in reruns.

No comments: