04 August 2010

If Only Veronica Mars Was Real and My Friend

The past week I have been consumed with watching Veronica Mars. Usually I can write and watch television, but I love VM so much, that I am unwilling to be distracted even for a few moments at a time. The first time I watched VM was a combination of DVD and television. Netflix is streaming it now, so I can watch all three seasons with minimal breaks (trips to the fridge and the bathroom are pretty much it). I stayed home yesterday (allergies, apathy toward working, etc.) and watched 16 episodes (season 2, episodes 2-17). It was glorious. I hate how Logan and Veronica aren't in love right now. I was all swoony teenaged girl when they finally hooked up during the last few episodes of season two. Now I have to suffer through Duncan, who is so damn bland. Good thing he goes and kidnaps his dead girlfriend's baby and runs away. Thank you, Duncan!

Ho hum. Now I am back at work. Missing a day did nothing to alleviate the boredom around here.

On Monday I was very pissy with work. Or rather, with my boss and her complete inability to deal with difficult situations; therefore exacerbating the problems. Sure, she is open for to me telling her all my thoughts, but she doesn't act on any of them, even when they are completely legitimate. Like how she agreed to let Twit work from home until her surgery. That was fine when her surgery was supposed to be during the week she was working from home, but her surgery got moved. She is now working from home 3.75 weeks. Lucky her.

Deciding it was time for a "Crucial Conversation" with my boss, I went to her, did my best to get her to look at me for maximum attention (she gets easily distracted) and told her that I was bothered by the Twit situation, and I didn't want to talk about it until I could suss out if it was more than pettiness. And it came down to the fact that she is administrative support, and can only do a small number of tasks from home, and leaving me to do all her priority responsibilities for her. She is not convalescing yet--she is taking advantage of a situation. She chooses to do tasks that she is not even assigned, and goes to other buildings to ostensibly help them with work, but she won't come here to do her "real" job. I feel it is wrong that there is this expectation that I do her work when she could easily be doing it herself right now.

My boss gave a vague look, and said some vague words of sympathy for Twit, and that yes, she thinks the situation is being exploited but there isn't really anything she can do about it now. NO? Really? You can't call her up and say hey, this isn't what I actually had in mind. Please come back to work and do your job until you have to go out on leave. Her FMLA doesn't even excuse her until August 12th. My boss had NOTHING.

Though, she did mention Twit's abusive relationship with her baby daddy (I do not ask for details, because it is none of my business and absolutely aggrieved me that my boss feels this stuff is even appropriate to bring up with me). That Twit still wants to leave him (she's been saying this since March of 2009 when she started here), and that my boss feels it just isn't doable considering Twit has a newborn and is getting a double mastectomy.

So, what did the lady choose to say to me? Not, thank you Grumples, I really appreciate you filling in during this completely unfair, sucky situation. Not, hey, I know this is problematic, and I promise to make it up to you at some point with admin leave or something. No. She says this, "I was thinking that I have room for her and the baby..." Eliciting a blank stare from me, trying to think where Twit would work in the office with the baby. "Room in my house for her..." My face must have told her to SHUT THE FUCK UP! I will start looking for a job immediately if Twit moves in with my boss. Un-fucking-accepatable.

See why I had to stay home yesterday? Fucking bend over backward for a dumb bitch who makes the shittiest life decisions and who sucks at her job and in the end just has me do it for her. Sure, keep telling me how you will talk to he about the problems in her work, the fines that she has caused our company to pay, and then keep not doing that at all. Don't give her the reviews she is supposed to get. Twit has no idea that she sucks because my boss can't bring herself to tell her. You know, because she's 43 and has a baby. And now she has breast cancer.

Having cancer sucks. I know that. I have gone through breast cancer with people. I fully know what that means. Yet, she sucked before this; she sucked before she was pregnant; she has sucked since day one. I have talked with my therapist and Fink-Nottle about this, about how untouchable she is and how I feel like I am expected to just suck it up and deal because Twit has cancer. Both pointed out that I can feel empathy toward her having cancer, but not her as an employee. And that is the best I can do. I am going to cover her job because there is no one else to do it--it is easy, not time-consuming for the most part, and there really isn't reason for me not to do it other than the complete violation of equality among employees.

Must think of the positive, the best positive there is: She is not here. She is not here fucking opening her piehole every two seconds. That is a relief. There isn't even a return date scheduled. I'm willing to bet she won't be back in the office until December or even January. Because really, do we really think my boss will make her come back in, or will she always be in a state of recovery and allowed to work from home on these minor projects for a different group who she wasn't hired to assist and for Ex-Cop (also not hired as his assistant)?

Grrr.

Therefore, calling in sick yesterday totally made me feel better in a passive-aggressive way.

No comments: