30 July 2010

Brought To You By All The Loving Parents of Rapists

It's an extremely quiet day in the office.  I've cleaned out my bag and made some folders.  Caught up on some blogs, pretended I would get back to other blogs I haven't read in months.  Went to the bathroom, washed my hands, and then dried them.  That doesn't sound very exciting, does it?

Well, here's the thing, the paper towels in the bathroom smell like hot dogs when they get wet.  So every time I wash my hands and dry them, I get hungry for hotdogs.  How fucked up is that?  It's like when you fart and the smell makes you want to eat some burritos.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Another thing, The Boy claims that all people (openly or secretly) like the smell of their own farts?  I disagree.  I only like the smell of my own farts when they make me want to eat burritos.  At no other time do I enjoy the smell of ass-gas. 
____________________________________________________________

Ahem.

Earlier this week, I went to drop some stuff off at HR (the fun I get to do at work is so overwhelming) and there was some teenager hanging out there.  Ends up being a coworker's 15-year-old son.  Ends up he has the hots for me, and wanted to know how old I am.  Sweet.  I can still make teenage boys swoon.  I could be the kid's mom for crap's sake.  Glad  to know I still have it.
____________________________________________________________

I left work about a half-hour later than I intended, and in doing so, caused me to have a bit of news-rage while driving.  I may only have 4 miles to go, but you don't want me angry during those miles.  I'm on drugs; I can't be held responsible for my actions.

NPR reported this story regarding some Massachusetts legislators who are drafting a new law for parental privilege (much like the privilege married couples have).  Meaning that parents won't have to be put in a position to testify against their children.

If you don't employe critical thinking, then this probably seems perfectly reasonable.  I believe in some cases it can be, especially when it comes to small children and the mentally/physically ill.  However, the real-life example they used was a father whose son raped someone, and the son told him about it, and the father was called by the prosecutors to testify against his son.  Here's the thing.  The "child" in question is a 25-year-old man.  What kind of fucking parent are you if you defend your rapist kid?  Maybe I just can't understand families, and I get that.  But I want to make it clear that I have very close friends whom I consider my family, and if any one of them committed a crime against another person, especially a crime such as rape, murder, physical violence, etc., I would ask my friend to turn him/herself in, and if my friend refused, I would go do it myself.

Here's a golden gem of a quote from the news piece:

"It wasn't even a close call. It was family. And you don't betray your family. You don't rat on your own kid,"
 or, even better
"We weren't trying to get him off, because he owed society and his victim," he says. "But the trust you build up with your kids needs to be protected, and I don't feel the state has the right to come along and tear it to pieces. You know?"

Okay, so you know your kid raped someone, but it's not cool to rat on your own kid.  That's just tacky and ruins trust between the two of you.  Sure, he owes society and his victim, but not by my hand, by golly.

I want to kill people whose reasoning is so despicable--that they can validate their reasoning for not turning a rapist in to the police.  This is just bullshit.  How do you even talk to someone you love who has committed a horribly violent crime against someone.  Listening to this, as someone with a not-so-great past, I am completely offended, and I think a lot of survivors out there would feel the same way.  Sure, it may be easier to overlook that really horrific that a person did, because it is embarrassing and shameful, so let's all act like out of love, we are going to keep it a secret.  Ugh.  Seethe.

Seems there are four other states that recognize the parent-child privilege.  There really should be some consideration of the privilege only going through age 18 and what type of crime was committed.  But hey, I'm just that lady estranged from her parents, so what do I know?

No comments: