11 February 2010

Google's Dinner Menu: Molly Ringwald's Sausage Neck

The one thing you can count on each year, is that WE or Oxygen will show a marathon of happily-ever-after movies; one of them being Pretty in Pink. Surprisingly, I do not own any John Hughes movies. Thus, when I stumble across one on television, I generally stop and watch. Maybe not the whole thing, but at least until certain favorite parts have been hit. The first 40 or so minutes of Pretty in Pink are the best in the movie. My love for Annie Potts as a teenager was so immense, and I can still watch her in absolute fascination. She and Jon Cryer are total scene stealers. Is there really anything better than watching Duckie dance to Otis Redding. I just want to clap and squeal while jumping up and down, and then pull him to my bosom and give him many cuddles. Oh those pelvic thrusts! Swoon. Don't forget Echo & the Bunnymen's Bring on the Dancing Horses in the background. I know what I'll be listening to at work tomorrow!



I've checked out the now old Molly Ringwald on The Secret Life of the American Teenager. I watched the first season of this utter nonsense just to look at Molly Ringwald's neck. That's right, her neck. I just cannot reconcile how she looks in Pretty in Pink with how she looks now. Obviously we all age, gain a bit of weight, take on some wrinkles and gray hairs; but my god, her neck. The worst thing and why I keep staring at her current neck is because I fear it is going to happen to me. She'll be 42 in six days, and her neck is like a matronly rich lady with piles of necklaces heaped on top of her leathery ample breast. Her neck looks 75, while her face looks age appropriate. Basically, her neck looks like a lump of play-doh shaped in to a fat short sausage that is then wedged in to her upper body. There is a clear line of demarcation between her neck and her chest. Like she's one fat tube from her tits up, and a string was tightened around the bottom of her neck thus making a sausage link. And where the fuck did those tits come from? Good lord. Those are some serious dirty pillows that she is dragging around on the front of her.



She was so skinny, such a gazelle with a beautiful neck. Maybe that is what having twins will do to a person; I don't know. In my vanity, I absolutely wish my neck does not end up like that. I fear I wouldn't be able to leave the house, not because I'm ashamed of my neck necessarily (but, oh yes, the shame would be there), but because I'd be too busy staring at my neck in the mirror. How can a skinny neck betray a person like that. I definitely already have a line across my neck; what if it starts getting fat on either side of the line? Damn.

Watching Pretty in Pink is also amusing in that one never knows what color red Molly's hair will be scene to scene. At the beginning of the movie, it is a total washed out orange, like a dirty strawberry blonde--the hair itself is totally fried with no shine. Two scenes later and it is a beautiful fresh glowing red. Later it is something akin to brassy orange. I'm going to assume that she had her hair freshly dyed at the beginning of shooting, and you can put together the order the film was shot by the fading color of her hair. The beginning of the movie must have been shot last. If I had the energy, I would totally put together a slide show of her changing hair color in Pretty in Pink.

A brief Pretty in Pink convo with Wikus:

Grumples: pretty in pink is on tv
Grumples: where's my floral vest?
Grumples: and floral socks?
Grumples: and crocheted collar?
Wikus: Dunno, where did you leave them last?
Grumples: i'm just not sure
Grumples: the '80s maybe?
Grumples: ducky wants to know if you'd be interested in being pregnant by christmas?
Grumples: he also feels that andrew dice clay is a "sensitive, sexually potent kind of guy"
Wikus: That sounds accurate.
Grumples: sorry, it's "duckie"

An off-topic conversation with Fink-Nottle regarding dinner at Google:

Fink-Nottle: now, a series of important life decisions.
Fink-Nottle: do I stay late and eat here?
Fink-Nottle: or do I go home soonish?
Grumples: what would make one more desirable than the other?
Grumples: what would be a reason to stay late?
Grumples: good dinner menu?
Fink-Nottle: grilled chicken thighs with sweet soy, artisan mac and cheese, roasted purple peruvian potatoes, braised red cabbage with apples.
Grumples: hate you
Grumples: well, you can keep the cabbage
Grumples: that's just gross
Fink-Nottle: yeah, I think I'm staying.
Grumples: i would
Grumples: i was won over on the mac and cheese alone
Fink-Nottle: and it's *really* good
Grumples: shut up
Fink-Nottle: and lunch today was the brisket sandwiches and the grilled swiss/cheddar
Fink-Nottle: oh, god, so good
Grumples: fuck you
Fink-Nottle: I'll die three hours sooner, but I'll die much, much happier.
Grumples: indeed
Grumples: am i allowed to disclose these foods on my blog?
Grumples: seriously, people need to know about these purple peruvian potatoes
Fink-Nottle: certainly.
Grumples: i cannot wait until you visit next so i can introduce you to the best brisket sandwich EVER
Grumples: there will be no cheese dishes, but my god, the meat alone is enough
Grumples: you can even choose lean or fatty!
Fink-Nottle: sounds tasty.
Grumples: soft sweet buns
Grumples: that's right
Grumples: buns that are soft and sweet
Fink-Nottle: peruvian purple potatoes ROCK
Grumples: tell me more
Grumples: no really
Grumples: i do want to know
Fink-Nottle: that's really all I've got
Grumples: what do they taste like?
Grumples: garlicky?
Fink-Nottle: normal potatoes.
Grumples: salty?
Grumples: buttery?
Fink-Nottle: well, they salted and peppered 'em up but good when they roasted 'em
Grumples: describe the color
Fink-Nottle: it's a very dark purple
Fink-Nottle: much closer to a brown/black than I was expecting.
Fink-Nottle: which made me expect that they were a bit burned.
Grumples: do they taste burnt?
Fink-Nottle: not at all, no
Fink-Nottle: vaguely sweet, but not in any sort of distracting way
Grumples: how's the chicken?
Fink-Nottle: it was good. thighs can be hit or miss.
Grumples: yes, that is generally how life works when it comes to thighs

2 comments:

jfybarbo said...

We shouldn't tell you about a condition known as "fatback" then.

Grumples said...

i am not particularly worried about fat back. fat ass, sure, but not fat back. sausage-link neck seems so much worse than all the fat-body part scenarios. you're just destined to spend your life wearing a scarf or turtlenecks. ugh.