28 March 2010

It's Time For Food on A Stick! Hot Damn!

The various smoke alarms in the house are completely insane.  There has been no fire (I am very thankful of this), yet they keep going off at an alarming frequency (please don't slap me for the terrible pun).  The one in the hallway goes off if I leave the bathroom door open, and take a shower longer than five minutes (I'm not sure I have ever taken a shower under five minutes).  The one in the kitchen goes off if I even think about using the over. 

Today is March's Urban-Family Get-Together.  I managed to shower (there were some precious nap minutes lost there), which was quite unpleasant with the hallway fire alarm going beep (silence) beep, beep, beep.  No one was home, and no one was asleep, so I didn't think to shut the bathroom door.  Grrr.  Now I'm making mini Yorkshire puddings (on a stick!) for tonight's fun, and dammit if the alarm doesn't go off while I'm preheating the damn oven.  Then again when I opened the oven door.  I have the stove fan on along with the kitchen overhead fan, and it is still angry.  I bet they won't work at all when the house is on fire.  That is one of my biggest fears in life--losing my house (boy, cats, tortoise, books, other important things like my laptop, music and iPod). 

It seems my grocery-store complaint letter has fallen upon deaf uncaring ears.  They obviously hate short people and want them dead.  Today I actually climbed up the shelves and got my water.  It was kind of fun.  Not remotely safe, but still, a good time was had.  According to several posts on FB, I came to the conclusion that today was some sort of religious holiday (Palm Sunday?), and I thought all the people would be at church when I went to the store.  However, since I dawdled at home watching Skins, I went too late, and encountered all these church-going folks who just love to go take a Sunday stroll through the local grocery-store aisles.  They were all very fancy dressed and seemed to not really need anything other than be seen by other people who had come there straight from church.  I was certainly underdressed for the event.

The best part of the trip was a dude sitting at a table with Pamper diaper coupons (I saw no free Pampers sitting on the table).  He was dressed very much like the Mormons who come to the door sometimes (there was that feeling of I should get naked and ask for some special Mormon holy underwear).  Nice slacks, nice button-down shirt tucked in and all pulled together with a tie.  He was slouched over and studiously text messaging someone.  He had no idea who was passing by the table, and certainly wasn't a good choice as a Pampers pusher.  I wanted to give him a high five, but felt it would be rude to interrupt him.

The worst part was standing in line to be rung up, and realizing that I recognized the horrible song being played.  It was that terrible "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song by some band I do not know, and will force me to Google.  Ok, Deep Blue Something.  That name just begs for a joke.  I was perfectly happy haven completely forgotten that song existed, and now it is back in my life.  I hope I forget it quickly.
It's almost time to leave. 

Going to peak in at my Yorkie puddings and hope things are rising nicely in there.  The Boy should be home from recording soon (he's looking for some Munchkins [on a stick!], but there are like two Dunkin' Doughnuts in town, and the first one he visited wasn't open, which is sad).  In an hour or so, I will be gorging myself on all the various foods my friends felt like skewering.  Yum!

No comments: