19 March 2010

Neck Hotdogs May Be Just One Sign of Substance Abuse

There wasn't much drawing me to the downtown activities today, except for Stephin Merritt and the Magnetic Field's Strange Powers documentary playing at the Alamo Ritz.  Unfortunately, no one really wanted to go see it with me.  Poo.  The best solution to that kind of disappoint me was to go home and take a 3-hour nap.  There are so many people out there who are just unable to enjoy a nap.  If I had to choose between food and sleep, sleep will win every single time.  Even better is that starving generally makes me sleepy anyway.  Sure at first my stomach growling will be a bit distracting, but I just hunker down under my covers and get to the business of sleeping.

Lately, I've been shirking a bit of my hardcore sleeping by staying up past my bedtime to read a book Ivy Vyne recommended, The Tea Rose.  It's a riveting read--a bit pulp historical romance and a bit literary.  A combination I can get behind, especially after suffering through 2009's Best American Short Stories (damn you Alice Sebold and your bad taste).  It's a good plot-driven book, and is way too easy to rationalize just one more chapter three or more times in a row.  This is probably a good book to give to someone like The Boy's mom or Wikus' mom.  It's always to have a good list of those on hand.  I should have it finished by tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

Wikus and Esquire spent the afternoon downtown while I was napping, and Esquire wanted to have one last dinner with us.  The Boy was recording with one of his bands, so he couldn't go.  Wikus said Esquire was fine with Italian, Hamburgers or more Tex-Mex.  We just had Tex-Mex last night (and my god, he's eaten breakfast tacos like three days in a row), and the Italian place I like would probably have a line out the door at 7:30pm at night.  So hamburgers it was.  I neglected to mention the best hamburgers were at a dark steakhouse that lawyers frequent.  That was kind of funny.  He did agree it was a damn good hamburger.  I decided to go for the housemade veggie burger since my intestines still seemed pissed off with me.  Though, The Boy just came home with a fatty slice of cake with coffee icing (that tasted like fresh whipped cream).  Take that innards!  It's after midnight and I feed you cake.  What exactly do you plan to do about it?

The boys can't stop saying "I'm disabled" in a high quivering falsetto.  It's from the IT Crowd.  I highly recommend it.  Then you can say it too, and I'll giggle every single time.  It's almost as good as ending every sentence with "I'm homeless."  I need to start carrying around a little notebook to jot down other hilarity that Wikus provides.

I forgot to mention yesterday: being a short person in a crowd of tall people, I tend to notice ears a lot.  Especially when standing outside during live shows that I could never hope to actually see the band.  The sun hits ears in just the right way for me to see tons of wax on the outer rim of the ear, and just how man hipster guys don't seem to be hip to the idea of trimming their ear hair.  Please keep this in mind the next time you go to a show--us short people only have so much to stare at: ears, neck fat rolls, hairy backs, etc.  Be kind and clean yourself up before stepping out of the house. 

Speaking of neck rolls (or neck hotdogs as I prefer to call them), the guy in front of me yesterday (while I was suffering through Roky Erikson and Okkervil River) had a hat on with www.phoenixhouse.com embroidered on the back.  I stared at that for so long that I couldn't help looking it up when I got home.  Now I wish I had asked him why he wanted to advertise like that.  Maybe he works there and the cap was a goody bag given at a teamwork seminar.  Or, he just likes being open with his substance-abusive past.  All I know is he had some pretty thick neck hotdogs, and they kept drawing my attention up to his hat. 

Kebabalicious let me down this year.  It was closed when I went by there yesterday, and I got Esquire all excited for some tasty Turkish kebabs, that he tried to go again today, and it was closed again, at 3:30pm!  What gives?  I can only assume they ran out of food.  Unforgivable!  It's SXSW, you have good food, do the math.  Bring plenty of food for poop's sake.

No comments: