29 October 2009

Avoid Spraying in Eyes

In the bathroom at work is one of those aerosol cans that people spray to cover the smell of their poops. Right now it is some mango smell. Usually it is kept on the bathroom counter, but it looks like a lot of people like to use the handicapped stall for their bowel-moving needs, and balance the spray on the handrails. I find that all very odd, and sad for the actual folks in wheelchairs. I ended up using the handicapped stall the other day because the first stall had poo on the seat and second didn't lock (I believe I mentioned all of this earlier). While I was doing my business I started reading the back of the aerosol can--I end up reading anything with words on it. And there was a lot of blah blah blah on the can, but my favorite was "Avoid spraying in the eyes."

When I say something with the word "avoid" in it, I mean "try not to" but it is not an imperative "DO NOT." It's a suggestion. Hey, you may want to avoid putting that electric eel down your pants! Or avoid using the words sue and lawyer when writing to a company vendor, even in jest. I'm saying you can go ahead and do these things, but it doesn't matter to me how your life ends up afterward, because I did warnyou that I would avoid it.

When it comes to spraying a chemical in your eye, is "avoid" a strong enough word? If you have to call your local poison center, then I'm thinking, "DO NOT spray this product in your eyes" would be a better call. Or, "DO NOT spray this product in your eyes unless you enjoy searing pain and possible permanent damage to your cornea, which may cause agonizing blindness."

No comments: