19 December 2009

A Night in the Sticks

Here I am, out in the country (cunt-ree). It is cold out and the stars are bright. We walked the dogs and looked at a 20'+ snowman made out of x-mas lights at the entrance to the neighborhood (can you call it a neighborhood if it is only consists of a dead-end street?). We watched some people going 70mph on the main road, and shivered in our coats against the brisk wind. I was lured out here by my friend who was having a lot of people over for a dinner and game night. However, now I'm sitting with my friend, her mom, and her mom's partner. This was not exactly the night I envisioned. Everyone seems to be sick, and decided at the last minute that they couldn't come. I was really looking forward to playing some Quelf with some new unsuspecting innocents, but even my friend's husband left for another party. What gives people? So my friend invites her mom. This is not something I would do. Ever. And I'm not just talking my parents. I just think it is weird when adults invite their parents over for something that was supposed to be like a friendly drunken game night with friends. We had just sat down for a game of Zombie Fluxx when her mom showed up. I love her mom. I love her so much. It's just not what I was prepared for. Now we aren't playing games, and there's just a lot of shooting the shit going on here. A lot of it is family stuff, so perfect time to check in on the blog.

I have a heating pad on my lap and I'm under a blanket with my overheating laptop on me. It isn't warm in here. I've had two beers. I'm a little sleepy. I'm staying the night so I don't have to drive the 45 minutes back home in the dark. I get my own room with no cats scratching at the door. The Boy is sick but he assured me he'd survive all on his own tonight. He's probably in to his 8th hour of Grand Theft Auto.

Here's my sad news for the day. Seems like my mosaic didn't win first, second or third place. I'm basing this on my friend who went to see it on Friday. She had no idea what the awards meant, so I had to quiz her to straighten out what was going on; bottom line, no award next to Mr. Seahorse. I'm really bummed out over this. Sounds like mostly photography and paintings won; which is no surprise since the judges were a painter, photographer and an art teacher. It's just I put 30 days of hard work in to that thing--so much different than taking a picture (and I love photography, so I'm not slighting it at all; it's just not really hard, physical labor). I'll just be happy to bring it home in three weeks and hang it in my kitchen window; because, dammit, I love what I did.

Ok, they are leaving now. So maybe we will continue with Zombie Fluxx.

No comments: