23 September 2010

Check Another Off the List

How did premiere week of television sneak up on me?  I really had no idea it was here until Monday night.  I had to scramble to get my DVR configured (we got a new one over the summer, so didn't have our regular recording schedule programmed).  I missed half of House, but Fink-Nottle tells me it was meh.  I'm currently watching Bones and am guessing I'm going to laugh at how ridiculous squared it has become.  Yet I still watch.  Judge as you will.

Last night was amazing.  Sweaty and amazing.  The Pixies show was sold out, which means there were 3,000 people swimming in a miasma of spilt beer, noxious body odors, marijuana, dry ice, and god knows what else.  My skin was absolutely slick, and I'm pretty sure my red leather boots had permanently melded to my legs.  Yet, the Pixies were on stage and they actually looked happy to be up there.  They were faking friendship pretty well, or at least not letting personal acrimony get in the way of rock.  Kim talked a lot, but I have no idea what she was saying.  It appeared that she thought she was telling hilarious jokes.   She mugged a lot for the crowd.  It is unbelievable to me how soft her voice still is.  Frank can still bellow something fierce, and Joey looks like he's been lifting weights.  David looks like a square middle-age man who worked in middle-management at an insurance firm.  Wikus pointed out that David always looked old.  The dude is a magician, so I guess his look is really not that surprising. 

They put on a loud, amazing show.  I knew all the songs (which kind of sounds weird to me, because generally there are at least one or two songs that bands do on stage that are more for them than the audience--the Pixies were obviously playing this totally for the audience).  At times I was completely distracted by all the people around me, how so many of them talked (rather shouted) through the whole show.  The constant moving and shifting of the crowd made me a bit dizzy.  For the most part I could not see the band--I am too short to enjoy visuals in a crowded place.  Watching them didn't really matter, since the lights and dry ice kept them pretty obscured.  It was about the music after all. 

After seeing them at ACL a few years ago where they did the fastest, rushed gig and sounded like shit and seemed to hate being anywhere near each other, I was a bit worried.  However, they owned that show.  Thank you Boy for that lovely gift.
__________________________________________________________________

Look, this is how we found Horchata sleeping this afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome!
~ Boy