02 September 2010

It's Made of Real Fake Gold

The most amazing lightning is streaking from sky to ground, and I probably shouldn't even be sitting on the computer, nor watching tv (I'm watching Notes on a Scandal, which is just as excellent when The Boy, Guamaniac and I saw it in the theater).  Driving home from hanging out with Emma's Mom and her excellent roommate, Whiskey, the lightning lit up Mo-Pac, a bright white jagged stripe.  I get a bit freaked out by thunderstorms, and wanted to get home before the rain hit.  We're still waiting for that downpour.  I'll be both annoyed and happy if it doesn't storm.  Annoyed that I left EM's house for nothing, and happy that I don't have to sit for the next few hours stressing and worrying that the house will be flattened and the cats dead (ET always survives in my what-if weather fantasies).

I've been freaking out over natural disasters since 7th grade.  That earth science class really fucked over my brain.  Even though I had just spent two years living in Anchorage, I became obsessively scared of earthquakes.  In Texas.  I knew it was crazy, and that I had lived through earthquakes just fine, but still, knowing the mechanics of it, the plates shifting, the way they make mountains and crevices.  Oh, god, even now it makes me shake a bit to think of it.

Earthquakes don't bother me so much now (except when I'm visiting Frijole and San Fran, and really, just having her in San Francisco freaks me out on this mothering-protective level).  My main focus is tornadoes.  The worst weather always hits when The Boy is not home, and I'm left running around trying to round up cats, putting them in carriers, gaining substantial scratches, and bunking down in his studio (it has a mattress for sound-proofing against the window, so it seems like the best option).  The Boy is home tonight, and it looks like we're only going to get a lighting show.  I should be able to sleep well.
___________________________________________________________

A good portion of my day was devoted to taking care of personal business while on the clock, and silently yelling in rage at my laptop which was just refusing to burn a CD I had made for CSP.  I hadn't burned a disc in quite some time, and it seems when I installed Windows 7 that it totally fucked up iTunes on some level where it wouldn't recognize the driver.  Bastard--didn't even know who to yell at first: Microsoft, Dell, Apple, my shitty luck in life?  I had to uninstall iTunes then reinstall it.  Such a pain.  However, CD is burned but CSP was a no-show today (eh, it's the way it goes at work--he'll get it at some point, and he just better enjoy it, dammit). 

The best news is I received Mockingjay and Freedom in the mail today.  I'm currently reading three books, but I'm going to put them down and start Mockingjay tonight.  I can't help myself.  I'm just hoping I can put it down, and won't end up staying up all night and dragging my ass in to work tomorrow morning on no sleep.  It may happen--I generally don't have any self-control when it comes to books.

No comments: