04 January 2010

The Punk in Home Depot

Tonight The Boy and I went and had an early, tasty dinner (I am a sucker for a good chimichanga [the word check thinks chimichanga should be "shamanic"]). We decided to finally go to Home Depot to get a replacement bulb for our living room fan.



We love the look of the fan, but it barely gives off any light (it's nice for ambiance, but not for say, reading). Also, the bulb only lasts about a month. I used to think it was because we always had the fan on, and that the rocking motion knocked the bulb around too much; however, we haven't had the fan on in a few months, and still have the same problem.

Therefore, after the light being out for about two weeks, we finally went to Home Depot. Luckily, the light aisle is right when you come in the door. Unluckily, this crusty punk guy shadowed us for a bit until we were standing still discussing which bulb was the right one (I brought an old one with me for comparison, since I'm smart like that).

While we were standing there, for like 10 seconds, he comes up to his and says, "So, I got a Home Depot gift card for Christmas, for like, $250 or something, and I don't really need anything here, so would you be interested in buying it off of me for like half the price?" I refused to even look at him as he rattled this off, so I have no idea what kind of expression he had on his face. The Boy was very cordial and smiled, and said that he didn't think we could afford such an offer. Snort. Man, if I was more willing to waste my time fucking with people, I would have trotted him right up to a check-out person and merrily asked for him to give the cashier the card so I can see what exactly how much was on it, so I could fairly pay him for exactly half.

What an assmunch. We were in Home Depot for quite some time looking at various things (The Boy gets a bit starry-eyed in there). We self-checked out with two bulbs in hand (one for back-up), and I started laughing at the whole scam in the parking lot. It took us a few minutes to figure out which row we had parked in (damn strip malls all look the same as do their parking lots), and so I had all this time to make fun of the guy, just for The Boy to start laughing and me to realize that the punk guy (and a friend!) were standing right there. Whoopsies. I have no idea if they heard me, but come on, it was a really lame scam. It deserved to be made fun of.

In other news, in traffic today on my way home, I was cut off by a compact car with a "Baby on Board" sign hanging in the back window. How insulting is that? Someone, who totally thinks it is fine and good to have such a sign in his car, here in 2010, cuts me off! The nerve of some people. Gah!

No comments: