08 June 2010

Is Anyone Doing Coke in the Bathroom During This 1980's Style Seminar?

It has been quite a taxing day.  Therefore, it is vitally important to post some pictures of the awwww variety:

ET is enjoying a lovely hay-lettuce slurry.  Leather T (it just seems appropriate to call him that) is the one who suggested trying the slurry to get ET to eat hay.  It is totally working.  Thank you, sir!


Look at those kittens.  Already in to luxury blankets and excellent headphones.  Such good taste!

Mattress caught playing with the kittens.  Now there is proof that he is a fat softy.
________________________________

I suppose I can now move on with the negative aspects of my day with a bulleted list!

  •  Had to attend day 2 of a "Crucial Conversations" seminar with the sleaziest name-dropping asshole motivational speaker.  
  • After I advised the motivational speaker that I will not be able to get up and walk around like we did during day 1 because I had a minor surgical procedures yesterday and can't risk splitting my stitches, and he responded with, "Oh.  I need you to move some tables."
  • Sat for 9 hours very aware of my swollen genitals.
  • Suffered a bit of abuse by the motivational speaker whose sole purpose was to teach us not be abusive to each other.  That was really fucking nice.  
  • The thought that I have to spend two more full days with the motivational speaker who is unable to actually have a crucial conversation and is more interested in telling us what high-profile companies he has worked with.
  • Actually participating in the sham this man was trying to sell.
  • Listening to him advise that if we just think that we LOVE something instead of hating it, our lives will be radically changed (yes, radically!).  If I don't like something, say the BP oil spill, I must turn it around and tell myself I LOVE it because that is a positive way of thinking!  My life is forever changed--radically changed.  In fact, I love every single aspect of my whole life.  It's been grand.  Grand I tell you.
  • Being told repeatedly that I made an agreement to not use my computer during the seminar and being cut off repeatedly when explaining I was sending out an email per my boss' instructions (she was sitting two tables away and had no idea what this man was spitting in my ear).
  • Being held to a bullshit agreement like that, because I didn't actually agree to it.  
  • Not being able to use my computer to calm myself when being subjected to an 8-hour sales pitch.
  • Being told that a) a woman should confront a man whom she feels is sexually harassing her, b) that she needs to make sure that he feels in a safe place when she talks to him, c) to talk with him from a place of "love" in her heart, and d) following up with their agreement that he not like at her tits anymore by going to lunch and discussing it.  AWESOME.
I could go on, but I am too tired to keep my heart beating this fast.  Though, I searched Google for "'crucial conversations' bullshit" and this blog was the fourth hit.  Which is funny since I only happened to use "crucial conversations" and "bullshit" in an entry, but they were mutually exclusive.  Now they're not!  FUN!

In all seriousness, I am not totally against the idea of the Crucial Conversations material.  I think there is some very good advice in the book, but it isn't a fucking panacea as Mr. Smarmy was trying to sell us.  It cannot be used in all situations, and a lot of how it was presented only works going down a hierarchy instead of going up (in that most of us wouldn't be able to be honest with our boss on certain subjects no matter how tactful we are--remember how I talked way long ago about that CEO who constantly touched himself?  Imagine how that conversation would have gone!).
________________________________

Many people have asked questions stemming from yesterday's post, and I plan to address them, just not tonight.  Me tired.  My bits are sore and peeing is torture.  The cats need snuggling.

2 comments:

glady said...

That seminar sounds awful. And that picture of ET is amazing! What kind of camera do you have? And...good luck embarking on the journey toward permanent babyless-ness. I have no insight regarding sterilization. It sounds at once incredible and terrifying. Sending thoughts.

Grumples said...

Hey lady.

I have two cameras. The one that I use most often for the blog is my Sony Cyber-shot. It isn't my favorite camera by any means, but it is a useful pocket camera. I've had it for 1.5 years, and it has been acting up lately, which makes me sad.

My other camera is a Canon Rebel, and I love, love, love it (even though I have a suspicion that I am not remotely using it to its full potential). I use that camera when I want to take more "professional" pictures. Therefore, not used often to take pics of the cats. My legacy will end up being a zillion pictures of cats left on various hard drives and cds/dvds.